What is involved in Hybrid WAN
Find out what the related areas are that Hybrid WAN connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Hybrid WAN thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Hybrid WAN journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Hybrid WAN leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Hybrid WAN related domains to cover and 89 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Hybrid WAN, Cloud computing, Command line interface, Data center, Desktop virtualization, Edge device, Frame relay, Go to market, High-definition video, Internet access, Low latency, Nemertes Research, Network World, Network congestion, Network emulation, Packet loss, Policy-based management, Service-level agreement, Software-defined networking, Streaming media, Wide area network:
Hybrid WAN Critical Criteria:
Review Hybrid WAN tasks and drive action.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Hybrid WAN does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– How can the value of Hybrid WAN be defined?
– How can we improve Hybrid WAN?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Cloud computing failures and integrate design thinking in Cloud computing innovation.
– Governance: Is there a governance structure to ensure that PII is managed and protected through its life cycle, even when it is stored or processed in a cloud computing environment?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– Have you considered that metrics collection, and system performance and security monitoring are more difficult in the cloud?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further and enable saas adoption?
– Are the risks associated with cloud computing actually higher than the risks enterprises are facing today?
– What are the key business and technical challenges of transitioning to a cloud computing strategy?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– If your data is stored abroad whose foi policy do you adhere to?
– How does cloud computing affect budget predictability for CIOs?
– Is cloud computing a threat to the real sense of ownership?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– Is there any recourses about cloud computing performance?
– What are the usability issues around cloud computing?
– Is the market ready yet for P2P cloud computing?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– What is scalability and why is it important?
– Defining terms: what is a cloud platform?
Command line interface Critical Criteria:
Focus on Command line interface leadership and probe Command line interface strategic alliances.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Hybrid WAN?
– Does Hybrid WAN create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– How will you know that the Hybrid WAN project has been successful?
Data center Critical Criteria:
Test Data center adoptions and maintain Data center for success.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– An administrator of a virtualized data center is particularly concerned about nic failure. what should the administrator configure to address this concern?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– Which report should an administrator use to know both historic and current utilization of storage in a data center?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– Should the dataset be deposited in a national, international or discipline-based data center?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– Is the priority of system restores documented in the disaster recovery plan?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Hybrid WAN moving forward?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– What are the usability implications of Hybrid WAN actions?
– How do you prepare your data center for Cloud?
– How many data center sites do you have?
Desktop virtualization Critical Criteria:
Apply Desktop virtualization management and develop and take control of the Desktop virtualization initiative.
– How would the developing vdi (vmware) and ddi (citrix) solutions meet the desktop virtualization challenges presented by ringling college?
– How can you negotiate Hybrid WAN successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– Does Hybrid WAN systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Edge device Critical Criteria:
Study Edge device management and pioneer acquisition of Edge device systems.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Hybrid WAN is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Hybrid WAN processes?
– How do we ensure that implementations of Hybrid WAN products are done in a way that ensures safety?
– How will IoT edge devices be monitored, managed and updated?
Frame relay Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Frame relay tactics and be persistent.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Hybrid WAN into the services that we provide?
– Can we do Hybrid WAN without complex (expensive) analysis?
Go to market Critical Criteria:
Grade Go to market decisions and probe Go to market strategic alliances.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Hybrid WAN leaders?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Hybrid WAN?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Hybrid WAN Management?
High-definition video Critical Criteria:
Prioritize High-definition video strategies and balance specific methods for improving High-definition video results.
– What are the short and long-term Hybrid WAN goals?
– Are there Hybrid WAN problems defined?
Internet access Critical Criteria:
Infer Internet access visions and shift your focus.
– What are internal and external Hybrid WAN relations?
Low latency Critical Criteria:
Face Low latency risks and shift your focus.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Hybrid WAN strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Hybrid WAN strengthening and reform actually originate?
Nemertes Research Critical Criteria:
Review Nemertes Research governance and ask what if.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Hybrid WAN? There might be some that are less obvious?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Hybrid WAN forward?
Network World Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Network World adoptions and find out.
– what is the best design framework for Hybrid WAN organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Hybrid WAN process?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Hybrid WAN effort?
Network congestion Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Network congestion management and cater for concise Network congestion education.
– Think about the functions involved in your Hybrid WAN project. what processes flow from these functions?
Network emulation Critical Criteria:
Survey Network emulation planning and forecast involvement of future Network emulation projects in development.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Hybrid WAN project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Hybrid WAN workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Packet loss Critical Criteria:
Dissect Packet loss visions and correct Packet loss management by competencies.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Hybrid WAN leader?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Hybrid WAN process?
– What is Effective Hybrid WAN?
Policy-based management Critical Criteria:
Explore Policy-based management adoptions and devote time assessing Policy-based management and its risk.
– What is the purpose of Hybrid WAN in relation to the mission?
Service-level agreement Critical Criteria:
Shape Service-level agreement projects and look in other fields.
– In terms of service availability, can you get your vendor to sign a service-level agreement?
– What are the record-keeping requirements of Hybrid WAN activities?
Software-defined networking Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Software-defined networking failures and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Software-defined networking services.
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Hybrid WAN activities?
– Do we all define Hybrid WAN in the same way?
Streaming media Critical Criteria:
Nurse Streaming media adoptions and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Streaming media is getting what it needs.
– Which customers cant participate in our Hybrid WAN domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Hybrid WAN project?
Wide area network Critical Criteria:
Review Wide area network projects and gather Wide area network models .
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Hybrid WAN with what users do day-to-day?
– Are accountability and ownership for Hybrid WAN clearly defined?
– How much does Hybrid WAN help?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Hybrid WAN Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Hybrid WAN External links:
Hybrid WAN – Cost-effective WAN Solutions
SD-WAN and Hybrid WAN with Broadband | SD-WAN Experts
What is hybrid WAN? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
AWS Cloud Computing Certification Program – aws.amazon.com
CRM Software & Cloud Computing Solutions – Salesforce UK
Data center External links:
Open Data Portal | NJOIT Open Data Center
Hawaii Criminal Justice Data Center
ADE Data Center – Home
Desktop virtualization External links:
MED-V – Microsoft Desktop Virtualization | TechNet
Application and Desktop Virtualization – Citrix
Edge device External links:
Verizon Tweaks EDGE Device Payment Plan – Droid Life
Tactical Edge Device | Harris
Frame relay External links:
Frame relay (eBook, 2000) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]Frame Relay – Kenneth M. Chipps Ph.D. Home Page
[DOC]Frame Relay – gad.net
Go to market External links:
The twins go to market (Book, 1966) [WorldCat.org]
[PPT]The Business Plan: Go To Market Strategy
Internet access External links:
DISA Multi-Host Internet Access Portal
Access from AT&T – Discount Internet Access
Internet Access – Dial-Up and DSL Internet Service – NetZero
Low latency External links:
Low Latency Microwave | McKay Brothers
Microwave market data at extreme low latency | Quincy Data
MusicianLink – Low Latency Internet Band Rehearsal
Nemertes Research External links:
Nemertes Research: The shift of IT to ET – Sprint Business
Nemertes Research (@Nemertes) | Twitter
Nemertes Research – Official Site
Network World External links:
Network World – IDG Enterprise
Air India’s International Network World Map – Air India
Network congestion External links:
CryptoKitties is causing ethereum network congestion — …
Network Congestion? | Verizon Community
Clear up network congestion – TechRepublic
Network emulation External links:
How to: Configure Network Emulation Using Test Settings …
Packet loss External links:
What’s “normal” for latency and packet loss? – Pingman …
vSphere 6 experiencing high packet loss – VMGuru
4 Ways to Fix the Packet Loss Issue – Small Business Trends
Policy-based management External links:
AWS Organizations – Policy-based management for …
CiteSeerX — Policy-based Management for
Streaming media External links:
CDN | Content Delivery Network – Streaming Media Hosting
Streaming media player boxes | Komando.com
Streaming Media Services – technet.microsoft.com
Wide area network External links:
Wide area network | computer science | Britannica.com
Wide Area Network (WAN) | North Dakota ITD
A wide area network (WAN) is a geographically dispersed telecommunications network. The term distinguishes a broader telecommunication structure from a local area network (LAN). A wide area network may be privately owned or rented, but the term usually connotes the inclusion of public (shared user) networks.