What is involved in Systems Operations
Find out what the related areas are that Systems Operations connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Systems Operations thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Systems Operations journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Systems Operations leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Systems Operations related domains to cover and 116 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Systems Operations, Operations support system, Access network, Business support system, Computer system, Configuration management, Customer service, DSL Forum, Data entry clerk, Digital Equipment Corporation, Fault management, Hardware Information Navigational Tool, ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector, International Organization for Standardization, Loop Maintenance Operations System, Network element, Remote Memory Administration System, Service Evaluation System, Service assurance, Service delivery platform, Service fulfillment, Simple Network Management Protocol, Software applications, Switching Control Center System, TM Forum, Telcordia Technologies, Telecommunications Management Network, Telecommunications service providers, Telephone company, Telephone exchange, Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System:
Systems Operations Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Systems Operations issues and gather practices for scaling Systems Operations.
– How do we know that any Systems Operations analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How do we Identify specific Systems Operations investment and emerging trends?
– Does our organization need more Systems Operations education?
Operations support system Critical Criteria:
Define Operations support system visions and point out Operations support system tensions in leadership.
– What is the source of the strategies for Systems Operations strengthening and reform?
– Does the Systems Operations task fit the clients priorities?
Access network Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Access network leadership and point out improvements in Access network.
– How is the value delivered by Systems Operations being measured?
– What are our Systems Operations Processes?
– How much does Systems Operations help?
Business support system Critical Criteria:
Study Business support system decisions and assess what counts with Business support system that we are not counting.
– How do mission and objectives affect the Systems Operations processes of our organization?
Computer system Critical Criteria:
Group Computer system adoptions and adjust implementation of Computer system.
– During the last 3 years, have you experienced a disruption to your computer system that lasted longer than 4 hours for any reason (other than planned downtime)?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Systems Operations?
– What are the barriers to increased Systems Operations production?
– How can we improve Systems Operations?
Configuration management Critical Criteria:
Add value to Configuration management engagements and learn.
– What is the main difference between a cmdb (Configuration Management database) and a typical asset register?
– Does the configuration described in the design document match the physical configuration of the software?
– Can we answer questions like: Do the attributes of the configuration object reflect the change?
– What do you do when you find a build error in some other code that is related to your changes?
– Can we answer questions like: Are baselines being set at regular points in time?
– When: when do you start to place an entity under configuration control?
– What are direct advantages of entering into Service Level Agreements?
– What are good and easy practices for frequent web deployments?
– If all requirements are not met, are deficiencies identified?
– Do the build instructions include all required components?
– What versions are affected by a change to component x?
– Definition: what is software Configuration Management?
– Which incidents should be logged by the service desk?
– Why is sacm so hard to implement and organize?
– Is system being built for the right platform?
– How will configuration items be identified?
– If yes, has the usq review been completed?
– What is the last mile connectioin?
– What is configuration management?
– Why establish baselines?
Customer service Critical Criteria:
Jump start Customer service risks and find the essential reading for Customer service researchers.
– Its important to reach your customers. Every business, if wise, will have a promotion and advertising plan. You need to consider the image you want to project to your customers about your business. Will your business stand out because you are a proven a leader in the service or product industry by providing innovative services or products, or you provide customer confidence by providing high quality Customer Service?
– Why would potential clients outsource their business to us if they can perform the same level of Customer Service in house?
– How long does it take to resolve an issue (e.g., time to receive answer to your question, time to receive permit, etc.)?
– How might the key characteristics of your service change in the future if the customers and their expectations change?
– Since you do not have a relationship with a new client, what will you do to get off to a solid start?
– How can recognition of the cultural value of importance of family be helpful in Customer Service?
– In the past year, have you lost your temper with a Customer Service professional?
– What are some techniques for effectively providing service to older customers?
– How does mystery shopping help us improve our Customer Service and experience?
– How can we integrate Customer Service into our Quality Assurance program?
– What are appropriate reasons for following up with a customer?
– Do we think that we are on the right track with our responses?
– Customer Service: How can social CRM improve service quality?
– Who are the internal customers within YOUR organization?
– How can verbal feedback affect customer encounters?
– What does a Customer Service culture look like?
– How do you currently manage complaints?
– How would you define attitude?
– Are your systems easy to use?
DSL Forum Critical Criteria:
Generalize DSL Forum tasks and oversee DSL Forum management by competencies.
– Think of your Systems Operations project. what are the main functions?
– Does Systems Operations appropriately measure and monitor risk?
Data entry clerk Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Data entry clerk goals and devote time assessing Data entry clerk and its risk.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Systems Operations strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– What are all of our Systems Operations domains and what do they do?
– Who will provide the final approval of Systems Operations deliverables?
Digital Equipment Corporation Critical Criteria:
Coach on Digital Equipment Corporation quality and prioritize challenges of Digital Equipment Corporation.
– Do those selected for the Systems Operations team have a good general understanding of what Systems Operations is all about?
– Does Systems Operations create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
Fault management Critical Criteria:
Sort Fault management goals and interpret which customers can’t participate in Fault management because they lack skills.
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Systems Operations leaders?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Systems Operations been identified and analyzed?
– How do we manage Systems Operations Knowledge Management (KM)?
Hardware Information Navigational Tool Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Hardware Information Navigational Tool engagements and explain and analyze the challenges of Hardware Information Navigational Tool.
– How do we go about Securing Systems Operations?
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector Critical Criteria:
Own ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector management and correct ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector management by competencies.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Systems Operations project?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Systems Operations move?
– What is Effective Systems Operations?
International Organization for Standardization Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about International Organization for Standardization quality and achieve a single International Organization for Standardization view and bringing data together.
– Does Systems Operations systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Why is Systems Operations important for you now?
Loop Maintenance Operations System Critical Criteria:
Investigate Loop Maintenance Operations System failures and ask questions.
– What are current Systems Operations Paradigms?
Network element Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Network element outcomes and tour deciding if Network element progress is made.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Systems Operations with what users do day-to-day?
– What are the short and long-term Systems Operations goals?
– Do we all define Systems Operations in the same way?
Remote Memory Administration System Critical Criteria:
Learn from Remote Memory Administration System engagements and slay a dragon.
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once Systems Operations is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– What management system can we use to leverage the Systems Operations experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Systems Operations goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Service Evaluation System Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Service Evaluation System outcomes and explore and align the progress in Service Evaluation System.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Systems Operations?
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Systems Operations ?
– Do Systems Operations rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Service assurance Critical Criteria:
Study Service assurance outcomes and probe the present value of growth of Service assurance.
– Achieving service management excellence is an on-going process. Just as an organization can never have enough sales, so they can never stop paying attention to service assurance. With service management and assurance having such a critical role for CSPs, how can they both achieve optimal service assurance delivery and implement supporting processes to ensure that best practice continues to be observed?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Systems Operations objectives?
– Does Systems Operations analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Service delivery platform Critical Criteria:
Boost Service delivery platform outcomes and oversee Service delivery platform management by competencies.
– Is Systems Operations Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Service fulfillment Critical Criteria:
Rank Service fulfillment issues and check on ways to get started with Service fulfillment.
– Will Systems Operations have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Is the scope of Systems Operations defined?
Simple Network Management Protocol Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Simple Network Management Protocol governance and catalog Simple Network Management Protocol activities.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Systems Operations process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Systems Operations process available?
– How to deal with Systems Operations Changes?
Software applications Critical Criteria:
Boost Software applications adoptions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Software applications.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Systems Operations?
– Is maximizing Systems Operations protection the same as minimizing Systems Operations loss?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Systems Operations project?
Switching Control Center System Critical Criteria:
Study Switching Control Center System leadership and find out.
– What are the usability implications of Systems Operations actions?
– Have all basic functions of Systems Operations been defined?
TM Forum Critical Criteria:
Scan TM Forum leadership and clarify ways to gain access to competitive TM Forum services.
– How do we Lead with Systems Operations in Mind?
Telcordia Technologies Critical Criteria:
Mix Telcordia Technologies risks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Telcordia Technologies because they lack skills.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Systems Operations is underway?
– How will you know that the Systems Operations project has been successful?
Telecommunications Management Network Critical Criteria:
Detail Telecommunications Management Network leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Telecommunications Management Network results.
– Have you identified your Systems Operations key performance indicators?
– Will Systems Operations deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What will drive Systems Operations change?
Telecommunications service providers Critical Criteria:
Confer over Telecommunications service providers goals and report on developing an effective Telecommunications service providers strategy.
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Systems Operations processes?
– Is the Systems Operations organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
Telephone company Critical Criteria:
Participate in Telephone company tactics and integrate design thinking in Telephone company innovation.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Systems Operations values?
– Is there a Systems Operations Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Telephone exchange Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Telephone exchange leadership and report on developing an effective Telephone exchange strategy.
– Consider your own Systems Operations project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Systems Operations?
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System Critical Criteria:
Adapt Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System visions and pioneer acquisition of Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System systems.
– What are internal and external Systems Operations relations?
– Who sets the Systems Operations standards?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Systems Operations Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Systems Operations External links:
USAF Command & Control Systems Operations Career Field
Water Systems Operations | Mass.gov
Operations support system External links:
Test Operations Support System | Tollgrade
Avaya Support – Products – Operations Support System
ACE Cash Express – ACE OPERATIONS SUPPORT SYSTEM
Access network External links:
APAN – All Partners Access Network
OSF Direct Access Network | OSF HealthCare
S.C.A.N. Home – Security Central Access Network
Business support system External links:
Business Support System – AZ FirstNet
Build A Business Support System – She Takes on the World
Computer system External links:
How to recover data after Windows computer system restore
computer system Definition from PC Magazine Encyclopedia
Computer System Designers (CSD)
Configuration management External links:
Interactive Configuration Management and Procurement …
Customer service External links:
ODJFS | Child Support Customer Service Portal
Capital One Customer Service | Contact Us
CW Title – customer service
DSL Forum External links:
[PDF]DSL Forum Working Text WT-101 – IEEE 802
[PDF]DSL Forum Technical Report TR-090 Protocol …
Verizon DSL forum | DSLReports, ISP Information
Data entry clerk External links:
Data Entry Clerk Salary – PayScale
Learn What Data Entry Clerks Do – The Balance
Data Entry Clerk Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Digital Equipment Corporation External links:
Why did Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) fail? – Quora
Digital Equipment Corporation – CHM Revolution
GRC’s | Digital Equipment Corporation’s PDP-8
Fault management External links:
[PDF]FAULT MANAGEMENT HANDBOOK – NASA
Hardware Information Navigational Tool External links:
Hardware Information Navigational Tool – WOW.com
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector External links:
ITU Telecommunication Standardization Sector
International Organization for Standardization External links:
ISO International Organization for Standardization
MDMC – International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO – International Organization for Standardization
Network element External links:
Modem Always On; and Network Element Dial-out Prevention
[PDF]Unbundled Network Element Platform (UNE P) …
Remote Memory Administration System External links:
RMAS means Remote Memory Administration System
Service Evaluation System External links:
Prototype Bus Service Evaluation System – Internet Archive
Service assurance External links:
serviceassurance.net @ Service Assurance
Service Assurance Analyst (PP/SAA/P/CS) – Project People
Job Information: Service Assurance Agent Job – appone.com
Service delivery platform External links:
Contact Us | Customer Service Delivery Platform
Service fulfillment External links:
Agency Service Fulfillment Enterprises, LLC
Simple Network Management Protocol External links:
Simple Network Management Protocol—SNMP—A Quick …
Software applications External links:
STEM Software Applications – WhiteBox Learning
Software Applications | Sharp Applications | MFPs | SHARP
Switching Control Center System External links:
Switching Control Center System – Revolvy
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/Switching Control Center System
TM Forum External links:
Home – TM Forum Inform
TM Forum CurateFx powered by Tr3Dent
TM Forum Frameworx – YouTube
Telcordia Technologies External links:
Telcordia Technologies Careers | CareerBliss
Telcordia Technologies, Inc. – CACI
Telecommunications Management Network External links:
[PDF]Telecommunications Management Network (TMN)
Telecommunications service providers External links:
[PDF]for Telecommunications Service Providers – tax.utah.gov
Telephone company External links:
Home – Hart Telephone Company
Vermont Telephone Company – Vermont Telephone Company
srcaccess.net – Santa Rosa Telephone Company
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System External links:
Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Trunks Integrated Record Keeping System